Five Reasons to Maintain and Clean your Chimney and Fireplace
1. Safety. Chimneys perform a vital safety function. They protect your home from catching fire, and protect your structure from heat and smoke. Serviced routinely, your chimney will last the life of your home. Neglected, and costly repairs could be required. Worse off, a damaged chimney presents a number of safety hazards and increases the chances of damage to your home. Avoid all of this with routine cleaning and maintenance.
2. Aesthetics. Part of owning a masonry brick fireplace or wood burning stove is about enjoying the classic, timeless beauty of a wood burning fire. But dirty fireplaces, chimneys, and accessories can tarnish the experience – especially in a beautiful home or locale. Take the time to clean and maintain your masonry fireplace or wood burning stove and enjoy them to their full potential. Having company over? Make a statement with a clean space – and make your stove or fire the center of it.
3. Spot Damage Early. Like bad news, damage to brick, masonry, and flue and chimney components generally gets worse with time. A simple crack in brick can, with time and neglect, turn into a much bigger issue. Creosote buildup can cause similar issues and could prevent the timely resolution of issues. Regular cleaning and maintenance (we recommend both yearly in the form of cleaning and inspections) can help avoid these issues, and allows for repairs before its too late (and too expensive).
4. For your Health. A clean, functioning chimney safely contains smoke in the fireplace firebox or wood burning stove, and moves it up and out of your home through the flue. Dirty chimneys may pose a risk, as blockages and buildup could degrade your chimney’s ability to safely and efficiently remove smoke from your home. Excess creosote buildup could constrain the flow of smoke – or worse – combust. And damaged bricks and heat shields could fragment and create physical barriers. All of this equates to safety risks, and an increased chance smoke could flow into your home. Cleaning and maintenance will help you avoid these things, and maintain you and your family’s health.
5. Code Compliance. Municipal, county, and state building codes change and evolve over time. These cover your fireplace and chimney too. Through regular chimney service, you can stay up to date on evolving codes, and ensure any repairs are conducted according to the latest. This is one more reason to hire a certified, reputable team like ours. Take the guess work out of code compliance and let the professional chimney sweeps get the job done.